Thursday, July 27, 2006

It's Like Living On Another Planet - A Very Expensive Planet

Life in Silicon Valley can be quite strange. If the real estate prices don't shock you, conversations with what are considered ordinary people here can throw you for a loop.

A couple of days ago, I sat in the shade at Overpriced Daycare with one of the other moms. She was nursing her baby, and I was watching Sarah run maniacally through the play yard. Somehow, our conversation turned to careers. This is what she had to say:

"I have a Ph.D. in physics, but I got tired of sitting at a computer all alone. So, I went to med school. I'm finishing up my residency in radiation oncology now. Medicine isn't as challenging as physics. It's basically memorizing a bunch of crap, but I get to interact with people. And, I like that. I'll be opening up my own practice in the fall."

These aren't the types of moms who sit around swapping Toll House Cookie recipes.

2 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, i haven't run into anyone like that in tx suburbia. Hmmmm!
:) About the real estate market here in Mckinney TX - not quite like Silicon Valley, unfortunately. But you'd at least think that our home would increase rather than decrease in value since dwelling here for 5 yrs. And supposedly we live in the fastest growing city in the entire nation (from 2000-2003 for cities with populations greater than 50,000). Go figure!
-Becca

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

Becca - It's a crazy world! I'm not sure I'll ever get any of it figured out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >