Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Angel Island 2006

Neither fog nor the roller coaster streets of San Francisco could stop us from getting to Tiburon on Saturday morning. We had a ferry to catch! You understand.



An adventure at Angel Island awaited us. Exploration should never be delayed - less the mind and body rebel. Sarah certainly grasped the seriousness of the situation.



Our ferry did not disappoint either. Patiently, it napped in the cool bay.



Once aboard, sensing our urgency, the ship sprung into action.



This delighted us in ways words fail to express.



At last, our destination approached.



As luck would have it, the Pacific Coast Angel Island Trail Run was slated to began just as we stepped ashore. Seeing as how I was the only one in our party dressed to run, I felt obligated to head to the start line and join the others for the 16 Km race.



This seemed like a good idea until the jagged hills unrolled at my feet.



At the moment when the dirt paths paused and stairs began to lead me upward, I realized that it wasn't generosity that led Mike to volunteer to spend the morning with our cranky toddler while I ran. It was pure wisdom.



Once I accepted the uprising of the island and surrendered to the beauty of the day, the run became spectacular.



I then anticipated the finish line not to end the movement but to be reunited with my little family.



At the end of the day, true rest only comes from a soul soothed by the journey.

5 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

especially, rest is deserved by the someone (?) who has the pack drafting behind-congratulation. xu3

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Last month I did a half marathon and I looked a LOT worse!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

anonymous - Rest always seems to be in short supply around here.

jill - Thanks! I was wiped out at the end of the day.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julianne always does awesome! Looks like a neat trail series like in S. CA except you pay! in more ways than one! Lori A.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

Lori - It reminded me a lot of the trails we used to run in So. Cal. Just not as hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >