Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Other Mornings

At some wretched hour, Sarah decides that she is ready to get out of her crib. What is going on with her lately? I walk into her room and tell her that it is still dark so we should be sleeping.

She begins arguing with me, "It's just a little bit dark."

"No, it's still nighttime."

"It's just a little bit dark."

"We should be asleep."

"It's a little bit dark. Just a little bit dark."

"OK. Let's go to the couch."

"A little bit dark."

I arrange our blankets on the couch and turn on Sesame Street. (What did we do before TiVo? Talk to each other? Watch infomercials? Admire the sky at dawn?) Elmo's whining immediately puts me to sleep. I doze until I hear Sarah calling from a distance. Why isn't she on the couch with me? I squint and find her at the dining room table asking for breakfast. It's still dark, but I don't tell her. I don't want to argue. My mouth is sleepy.

I know I'm supposed to wake up and feed her, but instead, I mumble and fall asleep again. In a panic, I wake up 1, 16 or 99 minutes later. I'm not sure how long I was asleep! She's still sitting at the table waiting for breakfast. It's still dark.

There are no warm touching moments today. There's just one tired mama and a stubborn kid.

4 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said...

she's taking that cute morning baby cuddle thing a bit too far. must have a sit down.

hope you fare better in the AM

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

Let's hope there a nap in your future.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like her distinction between dark and just a little dark. I am sure you are now more than a little tired as a result!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger SuperP. said...

I completely understand where you are. I spent many a mornings before dawn (before a very full day) doing the same thing. But, I put her next to me with a pile of picture books, a sippy cup, a blanket, a couple of dolls and that seemed to work. If you hate Elmo as much as I do, try that.. mine fell asleep with me quite often from the quiet.

Love the negotiations. little

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >