Friday, September 29, 2006

The Road Home



To most eyes, this is just a dusty dirt road. To my heart, this is the road home.

This is the road that I cried on and drug my book bag on until it was a shredded mess one afternoon. My brother and sister had run ahead refusing to wait for me. I drug my feet and my bag feeling sorry for myself.

This is the road where I learned to drive. Back and forth I went in The Green Monster, a mint (mint in color not condition) green, double cab, Ford pickup truck whose clutch I tiptoed to reach and whose dashboard I strained to peek over.

This is the road that I walked in the snow without a jacket when a freak spring storm forced my mom and me to leave our stuck car in the ditch and make our way home on foot.

This is the road where Prince, a black and white Appaloosa whose common sense had been sucked out of his head by the years he spent stuck in a stall, greeted me and followed me home after school.

This is the road that sleeping bags and candy were carried down in the summertime while my cousins and I searched for a place to camp.

This is the road that I raced down in high school when I had stayed out too late and prayed my parents wouldn't notice.

This is the road to comfort, memories and family. This is the road home.

8 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said...

am extremely glad you commented so i could find your lovely blog. i admire your philosophy - and your writing. i look forward to more.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know the old saying, "the road home is always the one less traveled". Sometimes we take for granted that that road will always be there, but we never take the time to use it and eventually it fades into our memories only.

Grandpa Fife

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Road is calling. What shall
we do? I have a 4 day weekend on
mom's b-day. I would have to cancel ortho's and shell out
about $1300 bucks. Do you think
she would rather come here and
you guys too....But it would not
be the road home. Uhhhhhh...
what to do? REJ

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a great writer! It's good to have a strong family. I salute you.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger J Fife said...

jen - Thanks. Can't wait to hear about your big trip.

Grandpa Fife - That's very true. Home is the one place that should never be forgotten or neglected.

REJ - I don't have a solution. We'll have to confer and make a plan.

lori - A good family is a treasure. Thanks.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, one of my favorite entries so far (and I have read everyone)!

Thanks for sharing everything.

Mikes oldest buddy,

Garon Foster

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, I really really miss New Mexico. Lovely post!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger J Fife said...

Garon - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love it if you started a blog and divulged secrets from your childhood. I hear it was explosive.

lori - Can you tell I'm homesick?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >