Monday, September 08, 2008

The Book Thief

Stayed up nearly all of Saturday night reading The Book Thief. Seriously, dawn was approaching as I read the last line.

I don't remember who recommended this book to me. I do know that I would have never chosen it on my own. The subject matter is not light. The story is set in Nazi Germany and narrated by Death. Sounds terrible, doesn't it? Oh, but it isn't. The writing is poetic. The story is uplifting and heartbreaking and so, so beautifully written.

I feel like I need to read it again.

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Valarie said...

I loved death's sense of humor. he was perfect as the narrator.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Josette said...

It's worth staying up just to read this book. I loved it. It's probably one of the best books around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >