Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday Trivia

Did you know that in the great state of Oregon it is illegal to pump your own gas?

It's true.

Oregonians aren't allowed to pump their own gas, because "exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids" and "self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people" and "small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation." All seventeen reasons for this law are listed in Policy 480.315, if you're into that sort of thing.

At first, it was very hard to resist the impulse to hop out of my car and start pumping. I can pump my own gas. Darn it!

Once winter came, it was very easy to resist the impulse to leave my warm, warm car and start pumping. Oh, go ahead, kind person, pump my gas. I'll stay in this car with its heated seats and think nice thoughts about you.

Now, I only worry about how I will train Sarah to pump her own gas. It's a critical life skill, right up there with sorting laundry and brewing a double espresso.

Bonus Trivia I: The gas station attendants usually give dogs in the car treats.

Bonus Trivia II: My dogs are usually in my car.

Bonus Trivia III: Lots of people in this town drive with dogs in their cars. So there.

Bonus Trivia IV: Little girls prancing around with parasols and tattoos - totally legal.

3 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger Deby said...

I have found it extremely easy to give up pumping my own gas. No nasty gas smell on my hands. No getting wet when it is raining.

Love the cutie with the parasol and the tats.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't miss pumping gas at all. The drive-thru coffee places give treats to dogs too.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger SuperP. said...

I have to say that I love the thinking in Oregon regarding pumping one's own gas. I have often thought of those three very things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >