Friday, April 21, 2006

Whir Of Events

What a crazy week! Mike and I have been playing Sick Baby Potato (the latest craze among working parents) by passing Sarita back and forth as we dash to and from the airport. I can't for the life of me imagine how couples with multiple kids pull this off.

So, Sarah's still sick. Her doctor, who I absolutely love, checked her out this morning and thinks that it's just a regular old virus. There's nothing we can do but wait it out. Too bad. I want instant relief for my baby.

Also, I finally went through my photos from Boston. Quickly, I realized that I didn't take nearly enough pictures. It's hard to snap pictures when your 60-something year old mom and (much, much) older sister are dragging you around the city at a dizzying pace. They wore me out.

Despite the fatigue, the trip was so much fun. Our first evening was spent chit-chatting in the hotel until much too late. I could have sat and talked to my two favorite women all weekend long, but that would have prevented us from walking every square inch of that town.

On Easter morning, they tricked me into thinking that we were going to have a leisurely vacation by allowing me to have coffee and pastries while seated.

(My sister. Sitting. This is the last time that she stopped moving.)


After this, my mom suggested that we attend Easter mass. I thought it was to celebrate the holiday, but I actually think that the intention was to pray that I could keep up with the blistering pace that they would soon set. Whatever the reason, I'm glad that I got to spend time in Trinity Church. The building and the music from the choir were astoundingly beautiful.



From here, the trip becomes a blur. Walking, subways, buses, walking, eating, and more walking.

Marathon Monday was more of the same with the cheering of athletes thrown in between all of the walking (at mile 17):



More cheering of athletes (at mile 25):



My sister was one of those amazing athletes. I was one of those incompetent photographers who failed to document her marathon experience. I can't show you how good she looked while running the course, but I can tell you that she is a powerhouse and that she successfully crossed this line:



When she crossed the finish line, she didn't look much different than this - except for the kneeling part. She was up walking and pretending to be tired just to make us mortals feel better.



I can't wait until she runs it again next year. I just hope that I don't have to walk as much.

5 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Nice picture of the church. Glad you had some decent weather while you were here!

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SETTING THE STORY STRAIGHT

As a (much, much)wiser older sister it is my duty to layout the facts. The past weekend in Boston
was a whir of events alright. My morning coffee on Easter Sunday I tried to sip as we were rushing (mata caballo) speed to Church, where I had to dump it. That hurt. I had over half left at the
perfect temp. I Don't want to go into the night before when we were at the airport twice via two modes of transportation. And we rushed dinner in between. Blah! Blah!
Don't walk 18 miles before a Marathon. It leaves you flat.

However, the pleasure on seeing sister and mom made up for the whir of events. The pleasure of visiting over appetizers and beer
was cherished.
I experienced the Boston Marathon in the best way. That course tested me every step of the way. It chewed me up and spit me out. If it were not for my genetic disposition of "stubborn" I may have not finished. "Don't tell me I can't, because I will show I can"
Thanks for the Hot Tea, Bagels, and
all your support. Would have not done it without you. I will do the
same for you when YOU run Boston again.
***(mata caballo=kill horse)

REJ

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Trinity photo is gorgeous. I am glad you had a good time in Boston and I am very sad that I missed you. It sounds like there was a little family reunion and I don't know anyone who thinks it is smart to get between a Romero and what she wants!!!

I just popped the article in the mail today and your sister should get it by Monday or so. I didn't look for her time, but I am sure she is in there.

When you run again, I will take the day off and come cheer you on. Maybe you can drag both your hubby and mine along too!!

Boy that sounds like fun. Everyone start training now (except me, just beverage training for me)

N

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

Kris - It was a perfect spring weekend in Boston. New England is so beautiful.

REJ - Thanks for letting us be a part of your trip. I won't argue with your version of the events, but only because I respect my elders.

N - Wish we could have seen you too, but I think this just gives me an excuse to go back to Boston soon.

When I run Boston again, I won't be doing it alone. I like the idea of having our husbands along, but I like the idea of having you along even more. Then, we can all beverage train together right after mile 26.2 and limp home together.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

maybe you are right. maybe i need a new 'hobby' since my present 'hobby' is just plain old killing me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >