Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Tuesday Trivia

In 1998 Oregon voters overwhelmingly passed a ballot measure directing elections be conducted by mail, commonly called Vote by Mail. This replaces traditional polling place elections.

What is Vote by Mail?

Vote by mail is a method of distributing ballots for an election. Instead of using traditional polling places where voters go to cast ballots on election day, a ballot is mailed to each registered voter. The ballot is then voted and returned to the county election office to be counted.
-From the Oregon Secretary of State Government Website

Using the Vote by Mail system, I cast my vote nearly two weeks ago. I'm a little sad that I won't be headed to a polling place today. I really would have liked to take Sarah along to show her the voting process and to let her feel the energy. But I have to say that I appreciated the time to sit at my kitchen table and study the measures and candidates before voting. I always felt a little rushed in the voting booth.

Whatever method you use in your state to vote, get out and use it today!

It's a historic day. Even from my home office I can feel the energy. Can you?

1 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

james and i went to the polls today in tiny ragland, al. he received lemonade and candy, on the way in and out! i didn't have to wait in line for hours like the people in birmingham and i was wearing shorts and flip flops! ahhh, i love the south. james' school has been doing a good job of explaining the election to the kids, and he has been reading "duck for president," thanks to cousin cathy. so he was aware of what mommy was doing. i was so proud to take him with me to see how we exercise our privilege of electing our leader. and not to mention, everyone there knew him and treated him like a little king. i am sorry "his sawah" didn't get to experience all of this.
love, carrie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >