Tuesday, October 30, 2007

California Is Feisty

Our house started rattling tonight. At first, I thought a train was rumbling past, but when the shaking continued, I realized we were having an earthquake. Lola and I scurried outside (everyone else was on a trip to the candy store). The shaking stopped soon after. No damage. No injuries. Just a 5.6 quake to liven up the night.

Fires, earthquakes. What's up California? Do you want to talk? You've been distant lately. Quiet. Is it me? Really? It's not me. It's you. Are you sure? If it's me, I can change. You know, talk less. Maybe stop twirling my hair. Or, the gum. Is it the gum? I'll stop chewing gum. Just friends? What!?! Are you kidding? You're not serious. We're like soul mates. Meant for each other. So stop this nonsense. Remember how things used to be. The sunshine. The stable ground. Smokeless skies. It can be like that again. It can! We just have to try. Work at it. Yeah, sure. I can stop following you around. Give you some space. You're smiling. We'll be OK, right? You know no one will ever love you like I do.

4 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the bedroom speaking to my dog when I noticed a huge truck seemed to be driving by out front, since things were rumbling. This is odd, because we live on the outside of a corner, and nothing can actually drive by our house, as it would have had to turn. Then it seemed to be out back, which is even more odd, seeing as there is no road there and the fences would really get in the way of a gigantic truck. Then it seemed like an enormous airplane (from Moffett, I assumed) was flying very low over the house, making it rumble. But usually things didn't sound like they were bouncing up and down in the attic when that happened, and I couldn't hear any planes, even though it was clearly flying within about 10 feet of the roof. I ran over to my husband, who was brushing our son's teeth, and asked him "H, why is the house shaking?". You would think I might have had a clue by now, but I was really confused. He gave me the funniest look (he grew up in Napa) and said "It's an earthquake". Ohhhhh.


Rach

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

"I was in the bedroom speaking to my dog..." - This is one of the many reasons that I love you, Rach.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

There's always that moment of fear when you're in an earthquake about whether it will stop or not.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Fife - I'm flattered beyond words. Miss Casey just seemed kind of needy, so I took a moment to talk to her. She is such a princess - she deserves more than I can give her.

Rach

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >