Sunday, August 19, 2007

Trail Runner

(Brace yourself. Here comes an onslaught of videos. You like videos, right? Come on, who doesn't like a video? Lots of them. Of someone else's kid.)

So last week (yes, I'm very behind with the blog, work, etc. It's the story of my life.), Sarah and I took a little hike. I love to hike, but this trip was different. It was a trip spawned by desperation.

You see, Sarah has decided to stop napping. Oh, I knew this day would come. The day when I no longer had a break, time to breathe, a chance to go potty alone. And I've been dreading this day like the nerve at the root of a tooth dreads the kiss of a dental drill.

Turns out, it really isn't as bad as I had imagined. It's worse. Oh, so much worse.

So last week, there was no nap. I was going crazy. I had to get Sarah and myself out of the house. Pronto! Thus, the hike.

(OK. Here come the videos. This might hurt a little bit. Just push. Or breathe. Push and breathe. I don't remember. Do whatever they taught you in that useless child birthing class. Yes. It's going to hurt that much.)

We made our way out to one of the lovely open space preserves in our neighborhood, Windy Hill.

The second that kid of mine set her little foot on the trail, it was as if I'd unleashed Lola. She immediately set out running:



And kept running:



And running, and running, and running...

Until, we found some horse poop:



The poop put an end to the running (for a while), but it spawned a bunch of questions and thoughts:



So, that was one napless afternoon. I haven't filmed the others. No one wants to watch a grown woman sobbing and rocking in the corner. It's unpleasant. Uncomfortable. And not even an epidural can ease the pain of watching that.

5 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a serious runner on your hands. Thank goodness for Poo, or
she may have wore you out. You did not carry her back to the car, did you? The days when naps are gone. Too bad for you. I made mine
sit in thier rooms with a book or
something quiet at mid afternoon.
It is grueling till they get used to the routine. Sometimes we lay
together with a book and I could veg for a bit and regain strength to get through the day. Good Luck
REJ

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger QT said...

TOO FUNNY - I like how after you answered a question in that last video she had to really study you to determine if you were telling her the WHOLE truth or not.

Good luck with her!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Pretty much looks like you got a Fife. Good luck!!

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh- I feel your pain. I, myself, am that mother in the corner many days. :) Loved the videos!!
Rachel

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger J Fife said...

REJ - Nope. She walked/ran all the way back to the car and then asked if we could go for a walk when we got home. Aghghgh!!! We've been doing the quiet time thing also. It definitely helps.

QT - Yup. She makes sure I'm not yanking her chain.

Nicole - I know! A complete Fife. I think I need more than luck.

Rachel - I don't know how you do it with 3 kids. Yikes! You have my complete admiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >