Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Never Again

Sarah was not recovering from her ailment fast enough for my taste or for that of her doctor's. So, I got to do something yesterday from which I may never fully recuperate. I had the nightmarish experience of holding Sarita while she had blood drawn. OH! MY! GOD!

I knew it was going to be bad when we entered the lab and the technicians, after seeing that I had a kid in my hands, all scattered to various corners of the room and refused to make eye contact. A youngish girl, who wasn't fast enough to hide, was the only one left standing near the blood drawing equipment. She reluctantly took the lab orders from the receptionist and looked at us with serious dread.

She had me sit in a giant blue vinyl chair with Sarah in my lap. Then, she looked at Sarah and said, "OK, little girl. Don't move around a lot. I don't want to have to poke you more than once. So, stay still." Inside I was screaming, lady, she's not even two! Do you think she understands what you just said? Can you be any more reassuring? But, I wanted to remain calm for Sarah's sake, so I didn't say anything.

Then, the poking began. First the left arm which Sarah took remarkably well. But, after only a few teaspoons, the blood stopped flowing. Oh, no. Please vein give up some blood, I prayed. More blood. Don't stop now. FLOW, DAMN IT! FLOW! Then, this little technician, a bit panicked, started milking the vein. This is when Sarah unhinged. She started screaming, "I GO NIGHT NIGHT! I GO NIGHT NIGHT!" The tech chick finally gave up on that vein, pulled out the needle, and announced that she was going to have to go into the other arm. I can't tell you how upset I was at this point. I wanted to hurt this little technician and hurt her bad, but I figured that watching me stab a tongue depressor into this girl's "eyes ball" wouldn't really help calm Sarah much. So, I kept my cool.

The poking of the next arm was even worse. The girl couldn't find a vein and started jabbing the needle in and out of Sarah's arm randomly. My tongue resembled confetti at this point. Sarah was still screaming "I GO NIGHT NIGHT! I GO NIGHT NIGHT! MAMA HOLD ME! I GO NIGHT NIGHT!" An eternity later, this girl whose jugular was now locked in my radar finally drew some blood and the ordeal was ended.

I scooped up my screaming baby, carried her through a group of wide-eyed folks in the waiting room, went out to my car, put Sarah in her car seat, got into the driver's seat and cried all the way home. Not a good day.

The good news is that all of that poking led to test results which show that Sarah is probably just fighting off some nasty flu virus. She's been happy and looking millions of times better today. I'm still thinking of calling up for some valium.


At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a good day? So sorry. Hugs to
you and Sarah. Roy had to do a
CBC (complete blood count) not to
long ago. This is excruciating for mothers to watch. Then we had to do a second one (CBC) to make sure things had returned to normal.
The six year old was way braver than I. I can't imagine holding a
less than 2 yr. old. Don't you hate it you leave for a few days and it all falls apart. Loose the
guilt. She was sick before you left. Get some rest and recover soon. REJ

At 7:33 AM, Blogger NCD said...

I am so sorry.

If you want some info from a 'pro' at bloods...


I can smell the new girl now, and I refuse. Ask for the most experienced nurse, every time, and make sure she can understand that this is a scary time (for all of us).

At my most recent clinic (that I am leaving) I have lapped all the nurses and now there is only 1 experienced woman left.

When I was in for the blood clot and needed bloods every few hours, you should have seen the stink I would put up to get the nurses who are gentle.

You are the mommy, don't worry you can defend your kid from whoever you want!!

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok julianne we need to talk. did only one tech come to stick? did no other tech come in the room to hold sarah's arm? i can't believe that. what you just described is something i do about 10 times on an average day. it takes two techs and the mother to stick a child. and we NEVER move the direction of the needle while it is in the arm! usually i am in the back working up the blood, but when there is a child i go up front and hold for the phlebotomist. just remember, you have the right to request another tech, or the right to refuse the stick altogether. and then you let the doctor do it. next time you tell them your cousin is an MLT and she told you what to do! poor sarah. did she at least get a sticker, a toy, a colorful band-aid? love, carrie

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tel Sarita her Uncle and her Grandpa are gentler with cows and horses than that nasty tech. we will send her a band aid for her ouch. Give her lots of hugs and kisses. This brought back many memories of Cody when he was a baby. Matthew

At 9:56 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

REJ - No guilt. It was just bad seeing Sarita in pain. I would have gladly taken a needle or two for her.

N - "Pro at Bloods" is probably the least enviable title ever. I'm so sorry. Thanks for all the tips. If I (God forbid) ever have to do this again, I'll be sure to contact you.

Carrie - There was a woman who held Sarah's arms down. I got to hold her body. Really, Sarah hardly resisted. She just screamed. In the end, she got some Bugs Bunny band-aids which she was fascinated by.

Matt - I don't know how you handled all of the procedures with Cody. Ohhh.. Tough. Thanks for all of the good thoughts.


Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >