Friday, October 07, 2005

We All Fall Down!

A couple of mornings ago, Sarah was in the living room spinning in circles. This isn't unusual. The unusual part is that she'd stop suddenly, say what sounded like "down", and fall to the floor. I couldn't believe it. She was playing "Ring Around The Rosies"! Sure enough. I sang the song for her. She got very excited, spun around, and giggled as we both fell down. This just blew me away. My little baby was playing a game that in my mind I'd reserved for big kids. She knew how to go around in a circle, she got the falling down part, and she recognized the tune. On top of all that, she was able to play this without my help, from memory.

At daycare, I asked her teacher if they play "Ring Around The Rosies". She told me that the kids love it. Sarah and one of the little girls (I'll call her Flower) overheard us and immediately started to play. Flower wanted to hold Sarah's hands and go around in a circle. This infuriated Sarah. She did not want to hold hands. She wanted to spin, but on her own terms (I have a very independent daughter). Anyway, when Flower gave up on holding hands, they played and laughed until they were dizzy.

I don't know why, but I find this level of play shocking. I guess I still think of Sarah as a baby. Someone who can't possibly understand what's going on around her, much less know and abide by the rules of a game. I'm so wrong. She's not such a little baby anymore. Everyday she takes a step farther away from me and everyday I have to remember to give her the room she needs to spin.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't let her spin all
by herself. We want to spin
with sarah. She is just a
bunch of unharnessed fun!
Hugs and Kisses..
Play chase. They, M,B,&R still
have not outgrown that. If you
can imagine me chasing a larger
than me 12 yr. old, same size as
me 10 yr. old and P&V 6 yr. old.
Our furniture does not stand a
chance. It's FUN and Loud!
REJ

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

REJ - We'd love to have all of you here to help with the spinning and the chasing. Sarah loves to be chased. The only thing is sometimes she gets a little confused and runs at you when you're chasing her. We are having so much fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >