Monday, September 26, 2005

Gazelle

Last night, we watched footage of a python strangling and then consuming an entire gazelle. I mean an ENTIRE gazelle. By itself. The snake didn't take reasonable chunks of the gazelle either. It swallowed the entire thing whole. In one piece. Horns, hooves, fur and all.

This was quite possibly the most disturbing footage I've ever seen on television. After not blinking through the entire piece, I caught myself sitting on the couch with my mouth wide open. I'm not sure if it was from horror or if I was hoping to coach the snake into getting that extra millimeter it needed to get the saliva soaked head completely into its mouth. Oh, but it was horrible and incredible, and I just couldn't stop watching.

This is where I should tie the whole feeding scene into watching Sarah devour spaghetti tonight for dinner, but I can't. It was just too gruesome and not funny at all. I mean, a snake put an entire gazelle into its body. A baby cramming handfuls of pasta into its face just doesn't compare to that. Nothing does.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to give readers a brief glimpse into the typical daily thought patterns of Julianne, here is an email I received from her yesterday. It is in response to an invitation from one of my colleagues to an artistic performance in San Francisco. The python-gazelle incident is clearly still fresh in her mind.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Julianne Romero Fife
> To: Michael Fife
> Sent: Mon Sep 26 11:03:26 2005
> Subject: Re: FW: SF Opera, Doctor Atomic - October 14th, 2005
>
> Babysitter? I think I'd like to bring Sarah along. Given the
> appropriate snack, she could contribute to the performance through
> interpretive "movement". We'll wrap her up in cellophane and sit her
> under a blue-light on the stage. When the movement has completed, baby
> wipes will rain on the audience and she'll crowd surf to a golden
> changing station in the back. Then, a lucky audience member will get
> to unravel the cellophane and clean up the "atomic waste". We'll call
> it:
> T-0 at Trinity - A Bold Explosion. Deep, huh?
>
> No? Ok. I'll start searching for a babysitter.
>
> I can't stop thinking about that gazelle that was eaten whole. I don't
> think I'll be able to get any work done today. I might have to sue for
> emotional damage. That stuff should be censored.
>
> -me
>
> --- Michael Fife wrote:
>
> > Babysitter? I like Murray's review.
> >
> > > ______________________________________________
> > > From: Steven Murray
> > > Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 10:09 AM
> > > To: Menlo - M & M
> > > Cc: Jaime Jochums Murray
> > >
> > > Subject: SF Opera, Doctor Atomic - October 14th,
> > 2005
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Jaime and I would like to invite you all to join
> > us at a performance
> > > of the renowned San Francisco Opera's production
> > of "Doctor Atomic",
> > > which tells the story of the Manhattan Project
> in
> > the days just before
> > > the trinity test. A synopsis of this production
> > and ticket
> > > information can be found at
> www.doctor-atomic.com
> > . If you would like
> > > to join us for this rare opportunity to see a
> > subject of immense
> > > technical relevance explored through the arts,
> we
> > will be attending on
> > > the above-mentioned date, and hosting or
> > organizing some sort of
> > > gathering beforehand (what sort depends on the
> > number attending). We
> > > hope to see you there,
> > >
> > >
> > > Steve and Jaime
> > >

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >