Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thankful

I've been trying to explain the whole concept of Thanksgiving to Sarah. You know, how it's a time to be thankful for all that we have. This led to two conversations about thankfulness.

Conversation 1:
Me: Sarah, Thanksgiving is this week!
Sarah: [mostly ignoring me]
Me: For Thanksgiving, we have a feast and talk about everything that we're thankful for.
Sarah: What does thankful mean?
Me: [ok, how do I explain this?] Well, it means to think about all of the things that we're happy to have. Like, I'm happy to have a happy, healthy family.
Sarah: What are unthankful things?
Me: I guess those are things that we're not thankful for. Things that make us sad - like sick people. I'm not thankful for sick people.
Sarah: Yeah, cause sick people give you germs.
Me: [Well, I failed that attempt.]

Conversation 2:
Sarah: Are we going to have a feast for Thanksgiving?
Me: Yes. But before we have the feast, we're going to think about everything that we're thankful for.
Sarah: [thinking]
Me: What are you thankful for?
Sarah: [devious look with a giggle] I'm thankful for hitting Sancho.
Me: Hmmm... We don't hit Sancho. What are you really thankful for?
Sarah: [very serious look and tone] I'm thankful for Lola.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >