Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bizcochitos

It wouldn't be Christmas without bizcochitos. Ok. It wouldn't be Christmas for a New Mexican without bizcochitos. It'd be like a childhood without stories of La Llorana or an enchilada without a fried egg on top. What? Too many obscure New Mexican references for you. Sorry. Homesickness sometimes creeps in and takes over my keyboard.

So, back to the cookies. I prepped to make a big batch, and against my better judgement, I let Sarah help out: (Yeah, I know she doesn't have on any pants, but I was thrilled that I managed to get a shirt on her. You see, she and clothes really don't agree, and this is a battle I just don't have the energy to fight.)



She was so excited. She'd been chanting, "Let's make COOKIES!" for days. By the end of the process, we had a sparkly layer of cinnamon and sugar spread across the entire house. Whatever. The mess was worth the fun.

Now, if I could only find the motivation and the time to make tamales...

5 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

My daughter during her AMerican Girl Hysteria Phase had a Josephina cookbook with a tamales recipe she insisted on trying. What a process. But yes, I have made tamales thanks to good old Josephina. Not easy. Ours weren't good, but it was a fun cooking time.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger QT said...

Mmmm - I love those. What is strange is that my grandma (not a native New Mexican) made them when I was growing up. It was a cookie we had around all the time.

I miss New Mexico too. I only lived there for three years but I always tell people I ate the best food when I was there. Every August I pine away for fresh roasted green chiles.

Sarah is so cute wanting to help you, too! And tamales require a kitchen full of women to make. Maybe I could come help....

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Valarie said...

I just learned about La Llorana this year. I think the cookies are a much better tradition to pass on.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said...

when am i coming over for dinner? i mean, of course...wow, sounds delicious. yum.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! as i was trying to get my cream cheese rolls done this year, james kept saying "baby try! baby try!" i felt so guilty not letting him roll dough or something. but you know, cream cheese rolls are not for amateurs (sp?). by the way, you have our mailing address for the tamales? here in alabama, they only come in a can! i sure do miss tamales from mr. padilla in texas. did sarah receive her gift from james? let us know how she likes it. love, carrie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >