Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Live while you live

In high school, I was a band nerd. So, of course, I hung out with other band nerds. We spent lots of hours traveling to performances and practicing for competitions. From the time that we shared and from our love of music, a strong bond grew in our little pack. But, that's not what this post is about.

In that band, there was a tall guy with very curly light brown hair and green eyes (or were they blue? No, I'm pretty sure they were green.) who had a tremendous sense of humor. His constant joking drove our band director crazy, but it kept the rest of our spirits high. He played the trombone, but his true passion was the guitar and basketball. See, unlike the rest of us, he had some athletic skills. His name was Justin. He was my high school boyfriend, my first love, but that's not what this post is about either.

Last week, Justin died tragically. I lost touch with him year's ago. So, his death seems distant, unreal. I still think of him as he was in high school. He was a large part of my teenage years, but I don't know who he was as an adult. Still, imagining him gone forever is difficult - not like I expected to spend time with him again, but knowing that this person who I once knew no longer exists is very odd. It's like a thread to my past has been cut. This saddens me. I'm saddened by the loss of such a young life. I'm saddened by the pain and shock that his family must be experiencing. But, the frailty of life, how quickly it can all just end - this doesn't sadden me. I find it sobering, a kick in the pants, a reminder that the simple pleasures of the day should be embraced, and I guess that's what this post is about.

Rest in peace, Justin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >