Thursday, February 21, 2008

President's Day (where President is code for my kid)

You know I'm always dragging Sarah along to do the things that I love. On Monday, President's Day, I decided to let the entire day be about her.

Her first request was ice cream, chocolate in a cone. This was polished off without a drop going to waste. Well, except for the few smears on her cheeks and in her nostrils, but that's not important. It's part of the enjoyment. It should be a full-face experience.

We then took a lovely stroll (where stroll equals a maniacal sprint run) to Drake Park to feed the ducks.



The ducks thought this idea was brilliant (the idea to feed them not the running like lunatics part).



Even a swan found the time to grace us with its beauty.



Everyone was happy.



But, we still had energy to burn off. So we headed off to a large patch of ice to "skate" (where "skate" is code for try to break mom's hip).



After a few failed attempts at "skating" (thankfully), we drug Mike out of his office to lunch on Thai food with us.

At this point, I thought we'd already had a great day and was ready to wrap it up with a nice nap. Ha! Ha! Nap. That's funny. Sarah had other ideas.

We made a side trip to a toy store before hitting the park earlier in the day. At that time, I told Sarah she could pick out one item as a treat. To my dismay, she sailed past the games and puzzles and went straight for the pinkest, sparkliest area of the store. My genes - nowhere to be found in this kid.

I was stunned when she chose a tiara kit. What? Really? Tiaras? Now, I'm determined to let her choose what she loves and follow the path that makes her happiest (Unless it's the path of the cheerleader. I draw the line at pom poms and spirit fingers. And peppiness. There shall be no peppiness in our house!), so I swallowed hard and bought the kit.

It pains me to admit that it was a fantastic purchase. There were lots of glittery things to glue on the surprisingly well made tiaras. The book had photos which enthralled Sarah. But best of all, it kept her occupied ALL afternoon.



With such great accessories (Yes, even I wore a tiara. Good luck getting a photo of that.), we had no choice but to top off the day with a tea party.



Fantastic day (which is code for ummmm... nothing. It was a fantastic day.)!

The joy and energy from that little girl warm me like sunshine in the spring.

4 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great idea and what fun! I will copy you. Someday. When I have the strength to be a really loving, giving, and patient mommy.

I'm glad to see that most of the snow is gone. Maybe we could move there, after all.

Rachael

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'll have to comment on this again. Your photographs are beautiful. I am especially partial to the one of Sarah on the ice.

Rachael

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger J Fife said...

Rach - The snow in our neighborhood is mostly gone. I think you could (should) definitely move here.

I like the photo of Sarah on the ice, too. Then again, I like ALL photos of Sarah.

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >