Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Screaming - Make It Stop

Night terrors, separation anxiety, teething pain, or just plain boredom, I'm not sure which is the cause, but Sarah was up for a good chunk of the night again. The symptoms of her problem seem to include extreme fussiness during daylight hours (which I can handle) and bouts of screaming at hours not meant to be seen by the likes of me (which I'm not handling very well - Mike wasn't looking too hot this morning either). One of my parenting handbooks suggested that I try not to pick her up when she fusses at night. This is so that she doesn't come to think that crying fits are rewarded with cuddling. Instead, the book recommends that you try to soothe the baby with your voice and reassure it with your presence. I tried to be strong (really I did). I rubbed her belly and said every soothing thing I could think of (in Spanish and English). I honestly don't think Sarah heard one soothing phrase that came out of my mouth. The wailing was just too loud, and the tears shooting out of her eyes kept her from being reassured be my presence. So, finally around 5 am, I caved in. I took her in my arms and rocked both of us to sleep. When I woke up around 6 am, Quasimodo and I were looking like close relatives. Seriously, I don't recommend sleeping in a rocking chair with a pudgy baby in your arms. Your neck will never be the same.

Does this look like someone who is about to enter the world of the toothed?

1 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Julie said...

She is adoreble!!
My grandmother swore by putting catnip in tea in a bottle for the baby for fussy nights. She was an appalachin healer, i hope it helps, my bro tried it w/ his baby and it helped. I think you can get it any health food store or make it yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >